Earlier this month, Monkees fans got the shocking news that reclusive guitarist Michael Nesmith will hit the road with the surviving members of the band for a fall tour. “It’s shocking to us, too,” says Monkee drummer-singer Micky Dolenz. “It just caught us all by surprise. It wasn’t this massive plan that people had been concocting for years or months or anything. It sort of happened organically.”
When Davy Jones tragically passed away in February, many Monkees fans presumed it was the end of the group. Even members of the band thought it was probably over. “There is a faint chance we’ll continue,” Peter Tork told Rolling Stone. “I don’t know whether we could structure something without Davy. I had a couple of thoughts, but I don’t know if they’re workable.”
What he didn’t count on at the time was former Monkee Michael Nesmith returning to the fold. With the exception of a short European run of dates in 1997, Nesmith hasn’t participated in any of the Monkees many reunion tours since their split in 1971.
As Rolling Stone announced this morning, he’s had a change of heart and the three surviving members of the band will hit the road in November. We spoke with Nesmith via e-mail about the reunion tour and his other future plans.
Leave it to Monkee Michael Nesmith to let the cat out of the bag. Late Tuesday afternoon, Twitter and Facebook were abuzz with news that The Monkees were going to make a big announcement on Wednesday. A photo submitted by Rhino Records featuring only Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, and Peter Tork provided a tantalizing hint.
However, Nesmith, who last played with the group during their 1997 30th anniversary tour in the UK, took matters into his own hands and quietly announced on his official Facebook at 12:30 EST that the Monkees are indeed reuniting for 12 U.S. concerts come November.